SEVIS Fee Requirements
Pre-Entry and Arrival in the USA
- Request for DS-2019s
- SEVIS Fee Requirement
- Passports & J-1 Visas
- J-2 Dependents
- Entering the USA
- Mandotory Check In & Orientation
Exchange Visitors must complete several steps in preparation for their arrival. These include paying the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Fee, applying for and obtaining a J-1 visa through a US Embassy or Consulate, and validating program participation in SEVIS upon arrival at Oklahoma State University. Please read the following requirements carefully and refer to the J-1 Scholar Checklist throughout the process.
Student and Exchange Visitor Information System -SEVIS Fee Requirements
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires the collection of a one-time SEVIS fee of $180 USD from certain J-1 Exchange Visitor students and scholars. This fee is necessary for a visa application. The SEVIS fee is separate from and in addition to the visa application fee.
Please see the following page for detailed instructions. You may also visit the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement website to get the most current information.
Applying for a Visa
- Receive DS-2019 form from Oklahoma State University.
- Complete Form I-901 and pay the SEVIS fee by credit card or mail. One cannot pay this fee at a US Embassy or Consulate.
- Print SEVIS fee payment receipt from Internet or receive Form I-797 receipt from DHS via mail.
- Complete visa application forms (DS-156, DS-157 & DS-158).
- Attach SEVIS fee receipt (Form I-797) or the internet receipt to visa application forms.
- Schedule visa interview appointment with U.S. Embassy/Consulate.
- Take all necessary and related documents to visa interview.
NOTE: If you paid the SEVIS fee at least 3 days before your visa interview, you may take your printed copy of the I-901 form to the interview. You do not have to wait to receive your official receipt (I-797).
After interview, necessary security checks, and the consular officer’s approval, you receive J-1 visa in passport from U.S. Embassy/Consulate. If your visa application is denied, follow Consular Officer’s instructions and request an explanation of the denial in writing.
- Enter U.S. up to 30 days PRIOR to the program start date on the Form DS-2019 and no later than 30 days AFTER the program start date on the Form DS-2019. You must have your passport with J-1 visa, a stamped DS-2019, your SEVIS FEE receipt and other relevant documents with you as you pass through immigration.
- Report to the International Students & Scholars (ISS) office to validate your program as soon as you arrive in Stillwater, OK. You must come to the ISS within 30 days AFTER the start date indicated on the Form DS-2019. If your arrival is delayed and you will not be able to report to the ISS office within 30 days after program start date, notify ISS immediately.
SEVIS Fee Application
You must submit Form I-901 and pay the SEVIS fee to the DHS by check through the mail, by credit card through a website, or through Western Union. The fee can be paid by you or by a third party, inside or outside the US. Please note that paying by mail delays the process significantly. We advise you to pay by credit card over the website or through Western Union if possible.
- Obtain a SEVIS FEE application form (Form I-901) Download the form from www.ice.gov/sevis/i901 or Fill out the form online at www.fmjfee.com.
- Complete the SEVIS FEE application form (Form I-901) and pay SEVIS FEE
- Write your name and date of birth exactly as it appears on your Form DS-2019.
- Enter SEVIS ID Number correctly from Form DS-2019. This number appears in the top, right-hand corner of the DS-2019 form and begins with the letter ‘N’ (Ex. N0001113333)
- Provide accurate address. A receipt will be mailed to you. If you have chosen expedited delivery, your address must be a street address not a post office box.
- Print Copy of I-901 Form.
Paying the SEVIS Fee – Payment Methods
The most current information on paying the SEVIS fee can be found at the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.
TO PAY BY CREDIT CARD (Online Website Application)
- Fill out Form I-901 online at www.fmjfee.com. See instructions above.
- Complete the form online and supply the necessary Visa, MasterCard, or American Express information.
- Make a copy of your I-901 Form. Keep it with your important immigration documents.
- If paying by credit card, print a copy of the online receipt (I-797). This receipt will be shown as proof of payment to the visa-issuing officer at the US Embassy or Consulate.
TO PAY BY MAIL
Prepare a check, international money order or foreign draft (drawn on US banks only*) in the amount of $180 USD, made payable to “The Department of Homeland Security.” If you have selected expedited delivery of the receipt include an additional $30 USD and a contact phone number for courier delivery.
*Many foreign banks are able to issue checks or money orders drawn on a U.S. bank. You may obtain a check from: a) a bank chartered or operated in the United States; b) a foreign subsidiary of a U.S. bank or c) a foreign bank that has an arrangement with a U.S. bank to issue a check, money order, or foreign draft that is drawn on a U.S. bank.
Mail the completed I-901 and accurate payment to the following address:
I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor
PO Box 970020
St. Louis, MO 63197-0020
Phone Number: 1-314-418-4393 (USA Country Code 011)
I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
1005 Convention Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63101
A Form I-797 receipt notice will be mailed within 3 days of processing the fee. If you chose express delivery, you should receive it in 3-5 days. However, the time varies by country and your location within your country. Currently, DHL is the official SEVP Courier. The DHL website can provide the estimated delivery time for your country.
TO PAY BY WESTERN UNION QUICK PAY
Western Union can collect the SEVIS I-901 Fee along with the needed FORM I-901 data and transmit it to DHS. The completed Western Union receipt serves as immediate proof of payment for a visa interview at a US consulate or for admission at a US port of entry. This option is available in any country where Western Union offers its Quick Pay® service.
- Go to http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/wu_instr.htm. Print out the instructions and sample form so you may take them to a local participating Western Union Agent.
- Go to the Western Union agent. To find the nearest office, go to http://www.payment-solutions.com/agent.asp.
- Request and complete the blue form. This form may say “Payment Services” or “Quick Pay” in the local language. Follow the instructions you printed for completing each field as related to the appropriate visa.
Be sure to make copies of your I-901 Form and your receipt (I-797). Keep these copies with your important immigration documents.
NOTE: DHS will not refund the SEVIS fee. If J-1 students and scholars are not granted a visa or choose not to come to the U.S. after visas are granted, the SEVIS fee is non-refundable. However, one can re-apply within 12 months using the same SEVIS receipt.
For more information regarding SEVIS fee requirement contact the International Students and Scholars office or go to the Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.